Monday, August 17, 2009

Perspective

There is an obsession with being the "best" at something. People will look all over the place to find that one area where they can be the best. Athletes will look for it in a sport. Am I big, little, fast, slow? Whatever I am, what will I fit into best? For those that realized they weren't all that good at sports, something else might tickle their fancy. Maybe they enjoy being involved in the dramatic arts, or perhaps the work well with their hands in an artistic fashion. Still others may play an instrument well or sing well. Others make like the idea of politics, so a debate club is just right for them. It seems like elementary through high school is set on finding what a child's niche is so that they can say that they are at least good at one thing. Maybe you can cook, or build, or teach? So many possibilities. Those who find something that they are really good at usually find a deep satisfaction, a positive contribution to society, and joy.
And then there is the rest of us... You know what I'm talking about. I have played many different sports. I played basketball, but quickly found that I wasn't all that great so I moved on. I tried wrestling and found I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought. I threw discus and quickly learned that my body was not designed to throw such a thing. I played football and discovered I was ok, but very much undersized. I have run a marathon and several half-marathons and I found out that I'm slow. I have played softball and discovered I'm not very good. I tried swimming and was sorely disappointed. I play disc golf and am no where near what others are able to do. Ok... so sports is just not my thing. I enjoy playing and it is much fun, but I'm just not good at it.
Ok, so sports is out, how about working with my hands! Well, I have hung dry wall, put on rooftops, worked with electric, plumbing, and concrete. My work is amateur and not very good. I can put up tents, however to be honest a trained monkey could put up a tent.
Ok, so no sports, and no working with my hands. Don't get me wrong, I love to do both, but I'm just not good at it.
Perhaps, I could be artistic... My pictures aren't very good. My pottery isn't good. My culinary skills are lacking. I am a sub par musician. Ohhhh, I could do poetry... nope that didn't work out so well.
Maybe I am more gifted when I use my mouth. I could teach... except all those blank stares are looking back at me. I could preach... except, well I can do it, but I'm definitely not the best. I could write, but unfortunately only about three people read this blog, so that is probably not a good sign. Maybe I could counsel people, unfortunately I'm success rate isn't very good.
You may be thinking to yourself, that sounds a whole lot like me. You may not be the best at sports, working with the hands, artistic, using your mouth, and probably a whole lot of other things. That is a good thing, because only a select few can be the best at something. What we need are people who are willing to serve in whatever area. I'm not the best cook, but perhaps I can make something for someone who is feeling a little down. I'm not the best athlete, but maybe I can bond with some of my acquaintances by playing. I'm not a great musician, but maybe the song I sing will speak to someone's heart. I'm not the best preacher, but maybe God can use my mouth to speak what he desires.
I always struggle with not being very good at much of anything, but what I do have down is finding ways to serve others in my limited capacity. That is what God desires from each of us. You may feel discouraged because you just aren't all that good at things. Don't get down, because then you miss stepping into a position with all your flaws and serving another human being. Keep up the good work at imperfection, because Christ can be made perfect through it!

1 comments:

Anonymous,  August 31, 2009 at 8:09 PM  

I realize I'm late in reading this, but i like the last line. I think it really sums it all up!

-Amanda