Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Purpose

Sometimes we need to question whether or not we are focused on God's divine purpose for our lives. We can get distracted with careers, education, hobbies, family, etc. None of those things are bad if we figure out how to incorporate everything into our divine purpose. Sometimes people assume that discovering one's divine purpose is to figure out a certain career path. For instance, it may be easy for me to say that my purpose is to act as a pastor at BCC. This is not the case, I have narrowed too much. Rather, my divine purpose is to act as a pastor. I have a shepherd's heart and desire to nurture people to a place where they function at their highest potential. To limit my calling to BCC would be to neglect so many other opportunities I have. For instance, I flew out to Denver for a funeral. Not a single person in attendance will probably ever move to Indianapolis and become a part of BCC, but I still have a responsiblity to pastor anywhere and any time. Why? Because it is my natural calling. I am here to help regardless of whether or not someone is officially a member of BCC.
This helps me to grab those divine moments when I can be an instrument of God. I like the concept of a pastor, because it gives me the freedom to do whatever is necessary in particular situation. Sometimes I preach to help, or maybe teach, or just be a listener, or go eat with them, or any number of things. If I recognize my call to pastoring and fulfill it at all times not just during office hours, then I open the door for God to move in a mighty way regularly and in every facet of my life. What is your divine purpose?

1 comments:

Mary,  June 3, 2009 at 7:33 AM  

Praise God, we can do our calling anywhere/anytime God tells us! We need to be prepared in season and out of season. Amen!